In my current post, I provide advice and guidance about mobile and location-based learning to other staff at the OU, to support their research and teaching.
I am also part of a group within IET that is tasked with the production of a series of ‘Innovating Pedagogy’ reports, to inform policy makers and practitioners of innovations in Higher Education.
I previously taught and supported a variety of subjects in Computer Science, as a full-time Teaching Assistant. I am comfortable teaching a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate modules including introductory Java programming; Web programming and scripting; human factors/human-computer interaction; new media design; user modelling and personalisation; and mobile learning/interaction.
Contributions to teaching methods and materials at previous institutions (all University of Nottingham):
- Guest lecturer for postgraduate module ‘G64IHF Issues in Human Factors’
- Guest lecturer for undergraduate module ‘G53NMD New Media Design’
- Delivered lectures, led practical lab sessions, invigilated exams and marked coursework/exams
- Attended all internal and external exam boards (undergraduate and postgraduate)
- Provided pastoral support to first, second and third-year undergraduate students
Graduate School / Information Services:
- Lead tutor for several Graduate School courses (‘LaTeX’, ‘Proposal-writing for scientists and engineers’, ‘Creative Thinking’, introductory programming and MS Office courses)
- Regular contributor to the ‘Preparation for the Viva’ course
- Identified and analysed training needs of postgraduate research students in the Science Faculty and provided appropriate training; trained and mentored new tutors/demonstrators
Education / Continuing Education:
- Guest lecturer for two postgraduate modules (‘XXD582 Mobile learning and ubiquitous computing’ and ‘XX4587 ICT and Instructional Design’) in the School of Education
- Part-time lecturer for three Continuing Education modules; also assisted in the management and tutoring of students on field trips
- Solely responsible for the design and teaching of each module and successfully trialled innovative techniques for assessment; also coached and supported students on a one-to-one basis, both in person and via distance learning
- Designed, marked and provided feedback of assessments; carried out resource management and module administration
- Advised Continuing Education on strategic curriculum development aimed at increasing student recruitment from industry and Local Education Authorities. I also helped plan and design new modules, to include the appropriate use of new technologies to support this teaching.